Thursday, July 18, 2013

I have been taught for some time this thought or concept.  In my core beliefs the phrase is "by simple and small things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise."

As I reflect upon my life in gaining a better understanding of "anxiously engaging;" I can see there have been many people who through simple means, small acts, seemingly routine gestures left indelible impressions for good upon my life.  There are far too many to recall or relate.

Aesop stated, "No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted."  I hope and believe there is actually more to that.  I sense that every act of kindness, no matter how small, if acted upon or even simply acknowledged grows in scope and impact...exponentially.  I think all of us have seen those circumstances when a simple act of charity (love) or kindness takes on a life of it's own.  So much so, in time we look in amazement at what occurred from what seemed like the mere movement of butterfly wings (figuratively speaking).  Then as the song suggests, "one voice singing in the darkness, singing so they hear what's on you mind and when you look around you'll find there's more than one voice, singing in the darkness." (OK it is a Barry Manilow song, but you can't argue with the thought...right?)

Unfortunately if the law of opposition is true, and it is, it's actually the seemingly harmless cumulative acts of evil, violence, neglect or apathy which leads to alarming levels of human suffering.  We see the horrid acts inflicted upon mankind, yet if we distill even these down, I assert we will find they started out simply or small enough.  Caution leads us to seriously reflect before committing an act we claim doesn't hurt anyone, even if it's only me.

What's in all this that has to do with life?  My life, your life, no matter how insignificant we may falsely suppose can have a huge impact on others.  I feel we have an obligation independent of religion, politics or any other social influence to avail ourselves to the simple acts, quiet gestures, anonymous opportunities of "ordinary folk" to lift another person to a higher plain, even if it's only slightly higher.  Then in most cases we can stand back and watch it grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment