Saturday, July 13, 2013

The title to my blog is of great importance to me.  It is a clear statement I hope defines my attitude and actions towards life.

The word "anxiously" is not thought of in the typical definition "full of mental distress and uneasiness."  But squarely on the definition "earnestness, earnestly desirous or eager."

The word "engaged" for the purposes of this blog is defined as "pledged, involved, under engagement, entered into."  Hoping to give the impression of deeply focused on, wholly invested, thoroughly involved.

There is a phrase in my core beliefs (Mormonism) that we should "be anxiously engaged in a good cause."  I cannot think of a better cause than this God-given life we are all "engaged" in.  Yet some of us choose to be "anxious" in life (using the typical definition now).  My hope through this blog is to communicate to my children, or anyone who has any remote interest, that the depth of our engagement significantly determines the breadth of our joy.

Years and years ago, as a very young man I was visiting the home of my Aunt and Uncle in Indianapolis. Nelson & Diane Steele.  My Uncle was an avid runner who participated in numerous marathons throughout the country.  I recall in their family room at home, a plaque he received for one of the significant marathons he ran (Boston I believe).  On that plaque was a quote that to this day stirs my soul.  I copied it word for word way back then and have carried it close with me for decades...


It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt

For this first post, I feel it is important to point out the photo I have attached to the title.  They are the cause of life I am most engaged in...family.  The five grandchildren together with my sweet wife are representative of the five great children we have.  I marvel at the goodness of God in blessing me with the family I have.  I can think of no greater contribution to life.  I know at times we feel we will be wholly judged on what we do in life, but I'm certain what will significantly weigh in on the final tally will be what we left behind in this life.  

2 comments:

  1. I like your last line..."but I'm certain what will significantly weigh in on the final tally will be what we left behind in this life." I have always felt a strong desire to impact the world in a positive way and I think that explains it perfectly as to why I feel that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have often thought about the positive influence others have had in my life. It usually doesn't fully sink in until much later, well after the fact. As if they have "left" something on my soul that lingers and has a powerful, seemingly delayed but lasting impact. I hope that makes sense. That's why I feel that of all the things I may do here in this life, much of the impact won't likely be felt until well after. I sense that positive impact will factor into my life's achievements.

      Delete